Wednesday, January 16, 2008

LOOKING OUT THE WINDOW

July 1997

Looking out the window...
I see a stand of mighty oaks. They must be over two hundred years old - mere saplings at the time the United States of America was struggling to be born; the days of our founding fathers.

Conducting a little research into that particular era, I came across some little known quotes uttered by some of our most memorable patriots.

George Washington at Valley Forge: "Get Private Heck in here! I think he's stolen my teeth again!"

John Hancock spoke these words before signing the Declaration of Independence: "Give me that document and let me put my Sam Adams on it. Beer, anyone?"

Ben Franklin: "No, I didn't get it permed! It was that damned experiment with the kite and the key!"

Thomas Paine: "These are the times that try men's soles. Look at these boots! I've only had them for two weeks and they're rotting off my feet!"

Patrick Henry: "Give me liberty, or give me a double scotch on the rocks! This has been one hell of a day!"

Nathan Hale after the British caught him spying: "Would you believe I'm just a school teacher? No? Then, would you believe I'm General Burgoyne's cousin? No? Would you believe I'm an Indian?..Oops, sorry about that chief."

My research and the above quotes came from "The
Distorted History of the United States". Right!

So, just kick back, have another cup of coffee and see what you can see looking out the window.



January 2008 - Some of the places we were playing at the time have, also made their way into the shadows of history.

The Jockey Club in Taunton, MA was a respectable lunch and dinner establishment until we arrived on scene on an occasional Friday night.

Molly Malone's, located in the Sheraton Tara, in Braintree, MA, was a delightful venue. Being a hotel, we never knew what kind of an audience would show up. It kept us on our toes. And being a five day gig, it kept our bills paid.

It was at Molly's that we met some members of the cast of "Star Wars". Kenny Baker (R2D2) got on stage and played harmonica with us. We had a great conversation with Chewbacca. (I've probably screwed up the spelling) We understood every word he said.

Keep a good thought and don't cuss the dog.

Dick Lewis

1 comment:

Jake Blais said...

Keep 'em coming Uncle Tubby.